Friday, December 31, 2010

Benjamen Lanning

My friend Rita gave birth to a baby boy today. Benjamen Hayden Lanning weighed in at 9 lbs. 13 oz.

Last year when Rita gave birth to her third son, Jacob, I asked her if I could take pictures… from the business end. Amazingly she said yes. Unfortunately I missed the birth by minutes.

This time I made sure to get there as early as I could. The epidural was in full effect. She wasn’t screaming in pain like you see on TV or cursing her husband for doing this to her.
She seemed to be just fine and dandy except for the fact the epidural seemed to work a little too well.

We expected she would deliver around noon, but the doctor came in and said she was ready just after 11:00 A.M. Things moved quickly. The baby started crowning at 11:14 and by 11:16 Benjamin was all the way out and crying like a champ. I was ecstatic! I seemed to be more excited than Rita and her husband, but then again, this was my first time.

I’ve got to admit, the clock started ticking a little for me. I thought of running home to Randy and get to baby making, but luckily that feeling wore off by the time I got home. I’m still not ready for a baby of my own, although over the past few year I’ve become less opposed to the idea.

Thank you Rita and Nate for letting me share this experience with you. I’m honored and congratulations! I’ll drop the pictures off soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment