Saturday, October 24, 2009

Gone too Soon

This morning I awoke to a voice mail from Ron. He didn’t say much, only for me to call him back. There was something about the way he said it, something in his voice. I knew something had happened to someone close to us… but what? and who? A few scenarios flashed in mind as I dialed Ron’s number, preparing to hear the worst.

It was Damon. “What?!?!” I was already sitting down, but I’m sure I would have fallen over if I wasn’t. Was it a heart attack? Did he slip in the shower? No. His death was suspicious was all they said. There was a flood of phone calls for the rest of the morning and early afternoon as I called people to find out what happened and other people called me. I found myself glued to the social networks hoping to find any news on what had happened.

A few hours later I got a phone call from Paula, the person who was responsible for introducing Damon and I in the first place all those years ago. She was frantic. The police were calling it a homicide. A coworker had found him at his home in Laguna Beach after he didn't show up for work on Friday. More phone calls.

By the afternoon I was physically and mentally exhausted. I was still dealing with the loss of Jerry, and now another wonderful member of our photo family is gone, and both too soon.

For more information please read this article by Rachanee Srisavasdi and Deepa Bharth at The Orange County Register.

***Update from Paula Martin (10/24/09 @ 10:07pm): I talked with the LB Police. They found Damon around 12 noon on Friday. The window of the last known contact with anyone was Thrs evening/early Friday am. Anyone knowing or has any information please contact the Laguna Beach Police at 949-497-0371/Detective Kelso. Any information no matter how small it may seem to you will help them. I spoke to the investigator Tim Kleiser at LBPD who said pass on this information to anyone who can help them. Damon was so special.

No comments:

Post a Comment